Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Morning Pimples and News

Every morning my job is to wake up my little one and usher her through her morning routine. Last school year I would sing my silly song (top secret) or simply say "Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey!" a couple of times and she rolled right out of a bed a little happy person.

Something has happened.

She turning into her sister. (Who requires a water bazooka and a giant spatula to scrape her out of bed)

"Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey" doesn't work anymore. I'm having to tack on "Wakey, wakey, wake, eat a piece of chocolate cake. " I'm strongly suspicious that by the end of the school year I will have composed an entire poem to recite to her every morning and still have to resort to the water bazooka and giant spatula. This is not good, indeed, not good!

This morning after reciting BOTH lines of the poem the little one rolled out. She went straight to the mirror and stared intently into it. I was intrigued and asked what she was looking at. She replied, "My pimples!". I then said, "You're 6 years old, you don't have pimples." She then said, "Yes I do, they're black and they're in my eyes." I said, "Do you mean pupils?" She looked right at me with her head cocked to the side and said, "Pupils" and walked into the bathroom.

I don't know about you, but that cracks me up. She is such a funny kid. I think that's the thing that has kept me from burying her in the backyard. She's such a punk a lot of the time. When she says funny things it totally redeems her. The same is true on some level with her sister. See "thermostat"

OK.. so as I was writing this post I got a call from our doorknob (a.k.a. social worker). Apparently bio mom has dropped her appeal. This is good news. It means that in ~ 30 days we will sign adoption placement orders.

It is good news. I, however, am not excited. We were at this place back in July. Bio mom then changed her mind. Little analogy: you know how when you stretch the stretchy thing really far over and over it looses it's stretchy. That's how I feel. I no longer have the capacity to get all excited. I won't believe it until the girls are legally mine.

I don't mean to be a killjoy. I give you permission to be super excited for our family. It's just emotionally draining for me whenever I get news. I was looking forward to court tomorrow to hear it all again and have yet another judge tell her it's over. That would have been more concrete for me.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is normal to protect our hearts from getting hurt. I like the description of the stretchy being stretched. I pray that all goes well and the adoption is finalized SOON.

    "Pimples"... so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, then I am super excited for your family!

    Praying you are official before you lose your hair that you are trying not to pull out waiting...

    "Doorknob" is a nice word for what you really think. hee hee

    ReplyDelete