Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rubber Chicken, Stuffed Pig, Calenduuuhhhhh!

This post comes from a completely random place. I wanted to post SOMETHING and currently am lacking inspiration.

I was sitting here in my assigned seat for blogging. It's assigned by myself, but assigned none-the-less. Sometimes I post from somewhere else and it feels all different.

Anyway.... I was looking around at the items that surround this spot. There's a plastic chicken with cymbals. He reminds me of the rubber chicken that I have somewhere that I keep meaning to find.

There's a cute little pink stuffed pig. A friend gave him to me. I have no idea why she gave me a stuffed pig. That makes him funny to me. Random stuffed pigs are laughable, right?

In front of me is one of those bird pens. His body is the pen body, the top has a beak and crazy pink and yellow feathers. He's also wearing big blue sunglasses. His cap is a big yellow bird foot and it has a sucker attached so he can stand upright. His name is Mr. Personality. If I ever took to seriously writing with a pen and paper I would most certainly use him.

I also have a giant calenduuuhhhhh! I call it that because I hate it. I don't like having to keep a schedule. I think I would really deep down like to live a gypsy kind of life. I'd like to wander. The whole stealing to live part is uncool but the wandering part sounds fantastic. My stupid calendar is my accountability. If I get so many things on it that I can't store them comfortably in my brain then life is just too busy. I know people that live and die by their planners. I tried it and hated it. It made me feel too scheduled. I like the notion that I have open options. When I scheduled every minute I felt imprisoned by it. And... I don't want my children to grow up pigeon holed by a schedule. We had the best weekend because our options were open. Friday early evening I changed into my "uniform" (sweatpants & gigantic T-shirt). The girls and I were fixin' to go take our crayons and coloring books and camp out on the trampoline and color. I decided I'd give my BFF a call. After that call we all loaded up and had a great time hanging out at her house. I didn't even have to change out of my uniform. On saturday the oldest out of the blue said "Hey I know, let's go see a movie." It was a spectacular idea and we saw a great movie.

Now don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with having a planner to keep yourself organized. Not everyone wants to mess up available brain space with schedules. I get that. That's why I keep a calendar at all. I want to make sure I don't forget stuff. I just don't want to be a slave to it. I try very hard NOT to fill it up.

Ok... the calenduuuhhhhh part ended up being a bit of a rant. Sorry. It's a risk I took for being random.

But... naming some of the odd items around me got me thinking about that movie Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. It was a good movie but a sad one. Anyway... I love that kind of imagination. I miss those years of life. Ya know.. those years when I was free to imagine and dream without having to be particularly responsible or adult at all. The times in my life when I get the most restless are when my creativity/imagination is squelched for some reason. I like to think about stuff. I don't want to take myself too seriously.

2 comments:

  1. Fun random post!

    I should try that sitting in my assigned blogging seat. Maybe a new post soon???

    I go thru phases w/my planner. Right now I peek at it if I think I might have written something crucial for the week. Otherwise I am avoiding it at all costs. Hope I don't miss something important...

    Speaking of important appointments: Can't wait to get together Monday. And yes, I was a cheerleader in HS. Fun times. It will be entertaining to watch the competition w/you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random stuffed pigs are TOTALLY laughable :)

    1) a necklace with Disney pins
    1) a bottle of water
    2) scissors (I will not run with them)
    4) GOBS of school papers
    5) remote (oh THATS where it is)
    6) Camera
    7) Rhinestone cross that Liberace wouldn't wear

    Your randoms are cooler than my randoms.

    ReplyDelete