Tuesday, September 22, 2009

On Connections

Yesterday while I was exercising I was mulling over something in my head.

A couple of times recently I've heard people reveal or I've heard stories of people revealing painful things about their lives. I heard a story of a lady who was sharing something serious about something that someone else considered shallow. The other person then picked on her. It was painful and really tore at her heart. At our small group meeting the other night a lady who by looking at her looks happy as a clam revealed all that's going on in her life. The whole room was crying when she was done.

I'm struck with the notion that we really are all "walking wounded". We all have hurts.

I've always been better at having a few really good friends rather than lots of friends that I don't know very well. I think I've finally got a working theory for why that is.

I find transparency refreshing. The trouble with that is that being transparent is difficult. Since the Garden of Eden humanity has been skilled at hiding failures. What's so sad about that is that we don't just hide failures. We hide everything that makes us unique. We fear being identified or singled out.

People connect through commonality. How do we expect to connect when we hide? When I connect superficially the friendship remains superficial. People that I have just jumped in feet first with have ended up being the people that I love and trust the best. I long for those types of relationships. I want to really connect.

I read the statement somewhere recently that "God is in the people business". Our job is to do His will. He wants people to know Him. If we can't be honest and open with people, how can we show people how loving, healing, etc. that God is? In a way we tie His hands.

I'm so grateful that the lady at small group opened up. It really reminded me that as God followers we should be transparent if for no other reason to call attention to how awesome God is. We never know how what we're going through can be used. Our job is to glorify God. Tough times, though difficult, are easy opportunities.

There's so much information floating around in my head on this topic. I haven't articulated much of it or articulated it very well. I feel very strongly about it though.

2 comments:

  1. You said that so well! It is amazing how many people are hurting and we would never know it.

    Sometimes it is because we just don't want to "bother" others with our problems. Other times it is because we don't want anyone to know we have less than perfect lives.

    God wants us to be there for others when they are ready to open up. I'm glad the woman in your small group felt comfortable enough to share. I pray He gives you wisdom and compassion as you support her thru those trials...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is HARD to be transparent though. Sometimes friendship is layered and the better we know folks the easier it is to open up.

    Sometimes I reveal more about myself in the way I joke than serious conversations.

    ReplyDelete