Sunday, September 27, 2009

A Good Day

Note: This blog is actually not being posted right after I wrote it (my usual MO). I had too much to say the day I wrote it so I decided to write it anyway and post later.

I'm sitting here in my rocking chair (my secondary assigned blog seat). The house is quiet. The girls are asleep. The windows are open and I'm listening to the rain falling outside. It's glorious.

Today was a good day. It was an odd day too.

This morning Hubby Guy took the Little One to gymnastics. (A welcomed change) I decided to take the Big One to the library. Her soccer game was canceled because of the rain. Anyway... we had a nice time hunting down good stuff to read. I'll write yet another post after this one about reading and books. It will also be posted not-right-away like this one. ( I told you I have a lot to say today)

When we got home from the library we ate some lunch. Hubby Guy and the Little One were home too. We had a couple of hours to chill and relax. No one was grouchy, winy, or needy. Everyone was happy and got along (truly unusual).

Hubby Guy left early afternoon to go to his second job. He has this job for a little extra cash. It also gives him a reason to be out of the house. He works at the Best Western in town. He's the only person I've ever known with a PhD to be willing to work menial jobs. He even delivered pizzas before he married me. I think one reason he does it is just to humor himself.

After Hubby Guy left the girls and I went to Walmart (my favorite place) to pick up a few items.
We ran home very shortly and then ran back out to the home of their bio Aunt on their Mom's side. We had never actually been to her house before. We've seen her plenty though. Anyway... she was babysitting the girls' new half sister. She's 5 weeks old. So the girls finally got to meet her.

I have written before about how weird it feels to hang out with their bio family. I'll put in a link again to my favorite post on this topic. Here If you've read it already, skip it. It's just the clearest place I've written about how we feel about it. The circumstances always make it feel like we're starring in a really weird movie about rednecks. Never in my wildest dreams could I make up plot lines that read like our story has been in dealing with the girls' bio family. Eg. Today we went to Bio Aunt's house so the girls could meet their 5 week old half sister for the first time. Bio Aunt was babysitting. It was a safe time for the girls to see the baby and not have to see Bio Mom. We had to be gone before their Bio Mom and Shack-Up-Hunny/Baby Daddy came to pick up the baby after work because we didn't want Bio Mom to know we were even there. I'm not ready to deal with Bio Mom without official backup. That's as much for her safety as it is mine. I still desire to "tear her a new one". Anyway... We (me and Bio Aunt) chatted about whether or not I thought it was OK to show Bio Mom pictures that she had taken of my Big One/ Bio Mom's oldest and the new baby/Bio Mom's youngest. I had to tell her no because I was unsure of what that would do to Bio Mom's mental state. I mean, after all, she does still have a couple of weeks to reopen her appeal. That's just a small sampling of what it's like. It's all just crazy. It's not something you think of having to go through when you adopt a child.

So... after we escaped Bio Aunt's house without detection we ran home to get swim suits and took off for the hotel. One of the perks of Hubby Guy working there is that we can swim whenever we want. So the girls swam for the first time in a while.

We came straight home after that and the children passed out. Even the Big One went to bed because she wanted to. She read for a little bit and turned her own light out. (Amazing!) Usually even if she is hang dog tired she'll still sit in front of the TV until her appointed "bedtime" just on principle.

It was a crazy long and at times strange day but it was a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment