Tuesday, September 1, 2009

It's a Skip-It Life

If you've ever tried a Skip-It you will understand the concept I'm about to describe.

Although what Forrest Gump's mama always said (Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get.) is definitely appropriate. I'm gonna throw another euphemism on the pile.

I feel that living life is very similar to playing with a Skip-It.

The basic concept of a Skip-It is with the contraption parallel to the ground you stick one foot/ankle into the circle. You then swing the long part/wheel end around in a circle and hop over it with the other leg each time it comes around.

It truly is an exercise in humility.

It's frustrating.

I worked with a physical therapist once who described walking simply as "controlled falling". If you think about that, he's right. I submit to you that working a Skip-It is simply "controlled tripping".

The other day I was pondering my existence and likened it to spinning plates. I like this analogy better.

The thing that always strikes me about watching someone work a Skip-It is that even when they are an expert at it they look like a dork. My point is that life is messy. It has lots of moving parts. It isn't designed to be pretty and streamlined. Life is designed to remind us constantly of our need for Christ.

Yesterday I got my feelings hurt. For a few minutes "I tripped my Skip-It". I had to rally and re-start.

In my minds eye this morning I can easily see a community/nation/planet of people all hopping around messily on our Skip-Its. We hop around fighting gravity or figuratively the pull of "the world".

This thought comes to mind. The truth of our lives lies in what happens when we "Trip our Skip-It". Too many times I've been guilty of throwing my Skip-It over my shoulder and going home. My littlest gets so frustrated when she tries something a couple times and doesn't master it. She always says "I cain't do it!!" and pokes out her bottom lip. It's pitiful but I get it. I understand that feeling wholeheartedly.

Yesterday I was reading in Proverbs about wisdom. The commentary I read said "Wisdom is knowledge rightly applied." Much of the first 2 chapters of Proverbs deal with contrasting wisdom and foolishness. It talks about deciding to seek God's wisdom and how it will help us live in a world of callus and cold Skip-It trippers.

We get our feelings hurt. Bad stuff happens. We endure stress from everywhere. We that know the Lord, however, have uncommon strength. When we seek His wisdom and store it as treasure in our hearts we can be Skip-It champions...... Messy, awkward Skip-It champions...... and when our Skip-It gets tripped........we rally and re-start..... no worse for the wear.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....I don't know if I will ever master my "Skip-It" life...I will probably always look like I'm tripping my way along in God's eyes!

    Great analogy! Happy Tuesday ♥

    ReplyDelete