Monday, September 28, 2009

Books, Books, and More Books!

I would say that the biggest thing my Mother did RIGHT was that she read to my brothers and me constantly. She even recorded herself reading books to us and included a cue for us to turn the page so that when she wasn't available she could still read to us.

That's one of the reasons I'm so crazy about reading. I've always loved it. She instilled that in me. She got me my very first library card when I was tiny. I don't know how old I was but I'm guessing I was the age of my youngest. She would take me to the library at least once a week. I would check out as many as I could carry. Those were the days. As I got older I developed a system. I'm pretty sure I read almost the entire young readers section of the South Hills Library in Jackson, Mississippi. There were even several characters that I read over and over.

This summer I read tons of books. I'm kinda all read out at the moment. But... lately I've been revisiting my childhood. I've begun to check out books that I loved as a child like Pipi Longstocking so I can read them to my girls. They are loving it. I'm also getting ones that have come out since I was a kid that I find humorous. We love Junie B. Jones. She's sassy but hysterical. The other night I was reading some Junie B. to the girls and what she said was so funny I couldn't even finish reading the sentence. I had to laugh it out and then dry my eyes before I could continue. Now when I tell the children to brush their teeth I quote Junie B.'s definition of "Mr. Tooth Decay - If I don't brush my teeth in the morning my breath smells like stink." I've been told they're over that already. I have a feeling I'll be saying that to them for the rest of their lives. :)

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE JUNIE B!!! I quote her quite often---that's so funny that you do, too!

    And, yes, I have also had to dry my eyes after laughing so hard I cried before I could continue reading. I have even been know to read Junie B books aloud on a road trip while Sam is driving. It entertains every one of us!

    ReplyDelete