Thursday, August 27, 2009

I Have A Sneaky Feeling

So... I woke up this morning to the oldest saying "Stef! Hey Stef!.." to which I groggily replied "What". (Don't even think about tagging me a bad mom for not being up.. we have a system in our house) She went on to say that Scott told her she could pack her own lunch. She has been wanting to do this for a long time. She has assured me on a number of occasions that she's quite good at packing her own lunch. Apparently I was wise not to believe her.

So.... this morning she went on to tell me she had packed a good lunch, complete with healthy things too. I decided I needed a good laugh to start my day so I asked what she had packed. Are you ready for this? She had packed chocolate milk, a fruit roll-up, peaches and some chips. I was perplexed so I sat up. I then asked what she was planning to take as "actual food". I stumbled upon the real reason she was waking me up. That's when in happened. She said the funniest thing I had heard today at the time. She asked, "Can I warm up some Ramen and put it in my thermostat?" OY!

A. Her "thermostat" isn't that big.

B. Can Ramen be construed as actual food?

C. This conversation was happening about 5 minutes before her bus was to arrive. That's not really enough time to make a good bowl of Ramen (as I am the expert and I know these things).

So.... when I shot down her idea of the perfect lunch I told her she needed to make a sandwich. She asked if she could make a tuna sandwich. I said yes.

Little did I know..... the child who assured me she's made tuna tons of times really had never actually made tuna salad.

I found out when I got up (she was gone) that she had opened the can, added some mayo, mixed it up and sloshed it onto some bread. Apparently she asked Scott why it was so juicy. EWWW! That totally offends my delicate sensibilities. Moreover, the kitchen reeked of tuna.

I have a sneaky feeling that she dumped the "mushwich" in the trash at school and ran with her "healthy lunch" that she had packed before she asked for my input.

Lesson learned. I really need to me more intentional about teaching her how to do stuff in the kitchen. She's old enough to be semi responsible with food preparation. I'm guilty of taking too much care of my kids in this arena. I do for them instead of teaching them how. Bad, I know. I'm aware though. That's a start.

1 comment:

  1. Don't you love how experience teaches us things like...must drain juice from tuna can before making tuna salad?! hee hee. ☻ I just wish you could have taken a pic of the look on her face as she was making it...what a hoot!

    I'm with you---I'll bet she ditched the 'wich

    ReplyDelete