Sunday, August 30, 2009

Saved By The Grandma Unit

The cruise director got the day off yesterday. After breakfast the oldest said she was missing her Nana. So I said, "By all means call her!" It just so happened she was in town and didn't have anything going in the afternoon. So... she came and picked up the children and had a Nana day with them. Woo-hoo, Woo hoo! Woo Woo Whoo hoo! So... I got some unexpected time to myself.

I've only been a mom for 17 months. There is much I don't know. I'm betting though that the phenomenon I'm about to describe isn't unusual.

I ended up with free time and I had NO IDEA what to do with it. I can usually manage a couple of hours. I had basically all day! And... Hubby guy was only gonna be around for a couple of the hours. We ran some errands and hung out like in our B.C. (before children) days. After he left I was really at a loss.

I decided to purge the children's room. They're horrible pack rats. In those rare times they actually aren't home for a while I go in and make lots of stuff disappear. They save every scrap of paper that they take a notion to doodle on. The little one especially saves every single masterpiece that she creates at school. The thing is... they never look at any of it. It just sits around and multiplies. They don't even take care of it like they have any attachment to it. Papers get all torn and wrinkled. It spreads all over the room. (Can you tell this gets on my nerves?)

I also make clothes disappear. This is easy to do when I do laundry. They get really upset if they see me put stuff in the Goodwill pile. I'm prone though to get rid of stuff that still fits. If it fits them but I think it doesn't look right I get rid of it. This drives them nuts. So, I did some of that. It's cathartic to purge.

After I did those things I still had a little more than two hours. I was so bored. So... I called up my little old lady friend. She's the one that taught me how to quilt. Let me rephrase. She's the one that goes with me step by step while I do quilting projects. Fortunately she lives a few blocks from the girls' grandma unit. I haven't seen her in over a year. B.C. I used to spend every saturday with her. I've missed her sweet little old lady self. Years ago I decided when I get old that I'm gonna be a crotchety old fart. Her sweetness changes my mind. She's so precious. I might decide I want to be the sweet little old lady that teaches the young whipper snappers how to quilt. :) (By the way... she tells me that of all the people she's ever taught to quilt I pick it up very quickly and seem to be a natural)

SO, I had a wonderful day yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful *and* productive day! :) Those days are so nice to have every once in a while. It rejuvinates you and gives you energy to pick up where you left off: in the middle of a wild and crazy life!

    ReplyDelete