Friday, August 14, 2009

Life Objectified

When I deviate from my norm the world is opened to me. I'm sure you can relate that in your own life generally things are done the same way daily. Habits and patterns of behavior aren't easily changed. Last night I deviated from the norm and ended up outside. I felt very much like I had stepped outside of my reality. I was only in the backyard. I could see hubby guy sitting at the kitchen table. I could easily imagine myself inside curled up on the couch with a book. I knew the kids were floating around the neighborhood with various friends. Somehow, though, I felt detached from my life. The most common thought I have, given opportunity to think about it, is how big the world is. Several things come to mind when I think about how I live life. Among them are mouse in a maze, car on a track, and horse with blinders on. Why is it that so much comfort is derived from living in a pattern? When I step outside it I feel like I breathe easier. Perhaps it's a longing for change. Perhaps the whole phenomenon is a divinely inspired commercial "We interrupt your normal programmed life to bring you this important message: The world is BIG and there's lots to see and do and be a part of. Get off the couch and go do something." When it happens I'm always inspired. To what, I don't know. I'm inspired nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment