Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I Lost It.... on to other things

A couple days ago I thought of something really cool (and funny) to blog about. For whatever reason I didn't sit down and write it. I just knew that I would remember. I haven't. I lost it.

Here's my newest observation on human behavior.

I have a friend (....really I do). This friend is mondo cool. She's one of those people you just want to hang out with all the time.  Lately, though, she's been stressed out. I've learned that when she's really stressed out and she asks you a question, you can't answer it the way you normally would. Instead, you have to very quickly and concisely answer the question exactly the way she wants it answered or she gets really frustrated with you. (Something I'm incapable of doing - I'm a painfully slow thinker) Also I've found it's best not to ask her any questions regardless of how badly you think you want the answer and just know that she has it. The person who normally is very merciful and gracious turns into a very short fused, rather unkind person.

I didn't tell you that so you'll think poorly of my friend. Don't. I still love her and think she's mondo cool. And, I still want to hang out with her (just not right now).

I told you that because I was thinking through the situation and have come to a conclusion.

A lot of attention is given to teaching social behaviors like being kind and polite, etc. I do think those things are important. Doesn't it seem, though, that we miss the chapters in the "Social Stuff 101" text about how people are fallen and imperfect? I don't think anyone ever said to me "Stef, people aren't perfect and they behave inconsistently. All the pleases, thank you's, and excuse me's aren't gonna be enough to know how to deal with some people on some days." Granted, we learn that eventually. I think with the absence of formal instruction on the topic, my first inclination is to internalize or take personally that my friend has been a booger lately. Truthfully, though... I'm a booger sometimes too. We all are. I has served me well to remember that.

I think it would have been neat to witness Jesus dealing with the disciples when they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Were his feelings hurt when they were cranky or snippish with him?  Did he want to roll his eyes at them or thump them behind their ear? I'm betting he was just as gracious with them then as he was when they weren't being boogers.

It seems like so much of the strife between people that I hear about comes from the notion that we're only nice to people when they are being nice to us. Instead of being gracious and considering the other person, we internalize and dish it back out to them. I'm so grateful that God has forgiven me for being a booger sometimes as an example for me to forgive the boogerish behavior of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment