Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why?

Winter Jam 2010, a concert tour featuring Christian artists like: Newsboys, Third Day, and hosted by Newsong, continues to be a major force in raising awareness and support for orphaned, abandoned and vulnerable children overseas.

I went to Winter Jam last weekend. I determined I was old. I needed earplugs. My kid had a good time, though, and that was the whole point of going.

The preacher guy they had with them was Tony Nolan. I've heard him on several occasions. He really does connect well with kids. Tony had a really harsh beginning to life. He was born to a drug addicted prostitute. He was mistreated badly in foster care. He ultimately was adopted and now he's a good guy with a great life, etc.

He was advertising for the sponsor (Holt International). He adopted a little girl from China. It was all sweet and she's cute, etc.

Here's the thing that set me off. In getting to the part about how he was adopted and why he has adopted, he made a big point of saying how badly he was treated in foster care. I realize regardless of what adults are caring for children that there is the potential for mistreatment. I haven't ever heard any person in a position to speak about adoption and foster care speak positively about foster care. I only ever hear how foster parents are horrible people who do it for the money and treat the children badly. I'm not taking his experience away from him, but he didn't need to essentially judge all foster parents. That was wrong. Moreover.....my kid, who has been in foster care in my home 2 years said to me, "Stef, why did he say that about foster care?" It really lit me up!

If I were to choose a topic and climb up on my soapbox, this would be the topic. ** Much attention is given to the children overseas who need a chance at a happy, healthy life. Meanwhile there are over 100,000 children in foster care in the US waiting to be adopted. **

Why are Americans so gung ho about helping other nations while ignoring what's happening in their own nation?

We are adopting two children from foster care. No, they aren't perfect. Yes, they have issues. But... because they came into care at 9yrs and 5yrs they can consider themselves lucky that there was someone willing to take them in and love them instead of skipping off to another country and buying a baby.

I know people go overseas because they believe that it's easier to get a baby there than in the US. I've seen research that disproved that point. They also mistakenly believe that those babies have fewer issues. It's proven that babies who are abused can have problems later in life that stem from stuff they don't consciously remember. On that front people aren't necessarily better off going overseas to get a baby.

Baby stuff aside, why does foster care get such a bad rap? Fostering is way harder than dealing with an infant. How dare people perpetuate a negative image of foster care! There is such a need for foster parents in the US. It really bothers me that kids grow up feeling unwanted because of all the ignorance and negativity surrounding foster care.

I wish everyone could meet my kids. You would never know the atrocities that happened to them for the first years of their lives. They are normal kids. They're adorable and goofy and all the things that an 11 year old and a 7 year old should be. What would have happened to them if Hubby Guy and I had bought all the negativity? It pains me that there are so many more children in the US just like mine who are just waiting for someone to love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment