Sunday, February 14, 2010

On Getting Cool Points Anywhere I Can

OK.. so I've faced it. I'm not what is considered "young" anymore. I haven't let go of "young-ish", but clearly I'm old. I can't pretend I'm still in college. I had a nice run with that one, but it's over.

I do still hang with young people, though. I hang out with authentic teens. They accept me as much as a teenager will accept a "young-ish" person. *aside* A 20 something told me yesterday that I don't look old enough to have children as old as mine. That made me smile. What a sweet 20 something she is!

Anyway... yesterday I got some cool points. It made me feel so good. The daughter of my friend added me as a friend on Facebook. I felt honored. Things to know about life: Teens/near teens will not friend you on Facebook if you're a "creeper" or in their opinion uncool in any way.

And... to make it all the better. The kid that friended me is a good kid. She's the kind of kid I want my kid hanging out with.

SO... for a few seconds I basked in the glow of coolness I was emitting. It wore off so fast. It's ok though. I get cool points anywhere I can. I appreciate the coolness even though it doesn't stick on me. (Coolness will not stick on old people... something about sagging skin and age spots... I don't know)

:)

In other news. Tomorrow we travel a couple of hours to the State Qualifyer gymnastics meet. We worked really hard this season and it's been awesome. We had three gymnasts qualify to compete on all 4 events. In the last 4 seasons we've never had even one gymnast compete in the all around at the State Qualifyer. They have to get a qualifying score on each event or reach an all around qualifying score during the season to be allowed to compete at this meet. Then, at this meet they have the opportunity to qualify for the State Meet. That's a really big deal. In the last 4 seasons only one gymnast from Harrisonburg High School has ever qualifyed to go to the State Meet. We've got our fingers crossed. It's been a banner season and that would be the icing on the cake.

As a coach I'm really proud. This is my 5th season with the team. The seniors this year were 8th graders my first year, so I've coached them through their entire high school gymnastics experience. The other coach and I make a really great coaching duo. It has been pointed out to me a few times this season that the team started getting good when I came on board. We are experiencing the culminating effects of the great coaching duo this year. We have the most successful team in HHS history. It's hard for me to recognize that I have anything to do with the success of the team. I do, though, and that's a nice feeling.

But, after gymnastics season I will go back to being an uncool mom who makes the children do chores and homework. No more high school students to help keep me "hip". I don't know if they use that word anymore. Anyway... I'll miss them until November when it will all start again.

No comments:

Post a Comment