Wednesday, February 3, 2010

On Reading Novels in One Sitting


I read a novel yesterday. It took me 7-9 hours (I don't really remember what time I started). I COULD NOT put it down. It's called Breaking the Silence by Diane Chamberlain. I've not been able to put books down before but this one truly held my interest. I HAD to finish the whole thing.

NOW....it is book by a secular author. It is told from a way secular worldview. It isn't full of curse words, however, and the "intimate encounters" were tastefully told without lots of extra details.

I think the notion that captured me was that the story could very much have been true. It was enthralling without being so far fetched that it was overdramatic and unbelieveable. Wowie-zowie. I definitely will read more of her books.

It's a shame the author doesn't know Christ. BUT, If she were a Christian author I would just have to quit life and sit around and be entertained by every word she wrote.

1 comment:

  1. I read a LOT (A LOT A LOT A LOT) of secular writing. I just don't get offended easily. If the book spoke to you and entertained you? I think that is OK. I don't think our salvation can be stolen by reading a story. Jesus himself said no one can snatch us out of His hand. But I understand why you qualify that aspect of the book. We Christians can be pretty hard on each other and judge each other harshly for things like that.

    No judgement here my friend.

    And now I want to read that book!

    ReplyDelete