Monday, June 1, 2009

Snapshots & Where I Am This Week


My husband bought me for some holiday last year a digital photo frame. I had it on my mantle for a long time. My mantle is now overflowing. I decided to load more pictures on it and take it to the office.

I was sitting at my desk today looking at the pictures. All but one random picture of the rabbit are of the girls. We have had the girls 15 months now and I feel like it's been years. So much has happened. They've grown so much. Because of the pitiful state they were in when they entered our home, the changes in them encompass more than just height and hair style. I think that's why it seems like such a long time. Although they have the same names, most everything about them is different now. It's amazing what stability will do for a child.

I sat all morning being amazed at the difference I see. I was struck with the notion that I should look at my pictures more often. Snapshots are so telling.

I'm so looking forward to the day when I can look at those snapshots knowing legally they are mine and that I'll be able to witness them growing up. I look forward to them being Lewis girls.

Thursday is a big day for us. My husband and I are both going to court to hopefully witness their parents rights be terminated. It will be a very emotional day. I feel like I need to be there so when the girls get old enough to understand all that's happened I will have witnessed first hand and heard all the evidence leading up to them being mine. The powers that be have told us so little. I pretty much get the gist of what's happened. I want to be able to share with them accurately how things really were. They've been lied to in visits and have recounted what they've been told. I look forward one day to setting them straight. The oldest is aware she doesn't know everything and has pleaded with me to tell her everything I know. I won't do that until she's mine. She's convinced that her parents are saints, but her resolve of late is breaking down. I can't imagine what that's like for her.

1 comment: