Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Intrigue

Intrigue: (according to dictionary.com)
1. to arouse the curiosity or interest of by unusual, new, or otherwise
fascinating or compelling qualities; appeal strongly to; captivate: The
plan intrigues me, but I wonder if it will work.

2. to achive or earn by appealing to another's curiosity, fancy, or interest: to intrigue one's way into another's notice.

3. to draw or capture: Her interest was intrigued by the strange symbol.

4. to accomplish or force by crafty plotting or underhand machinations.

OK... so the oldest is at a "Girls Leadership Experience Camp for rising 6th graders" this week. It's been interesting. To begin with, last week two of the leaders came to our house to interview my kid. I found that odd. Monday she didn't have anything unusual to report except she had met a really cool teenager named Maggie. Yesterday she came home with quite a story. Apparently this really cool teenager is: 16 (skipped high school because she's so smart and is in college), a supermodel (she's taught them how to walk all rigid and stupid), an actress who is in 3 soon to be released movies, has a boyfriend (who she showed them pictures of), had a photo shoot (in Harrisonburg last night and it cost $300), knows how to belly dance (and has apparently taught them some moves). And... to top it off she's a tree hugger and a vegetarian. That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm certain though there's stuff I forgot.

So yesterday evening the kid walked around really stiff, bellydanced when we "weren't looking" though we saw, and did lots of cheerleading jumps (Maggie is probably a cheerleader too though the kid hasn't said so yet). This morning she had a terrible time finding something to wear (moreso than usual) because "nothing fit" which is positively untrue. She finally came out perfectly matched including her shoes and socks (not something she usually cares to achieve). She brushed her hair perfectly (unusual) without being told to do it over and over again (even more unusual). It happened to be raining outside and she was really concerned that she might get wet and her outfit would be ruined (so unusual I think she's been inhabited by an alien). And, she was especially proud of the notion that I drive a Mustang and would be dropped off yet again in said vehicle. (not something she ever verbally states that she cares about)

Think with me here. Maggie is obviously fake! She is a made up persona. My daughter has fallen for it hook, line, and sinker. Here's my prediction. When the girls came to my house to interview my kid lots of the questions were about qualities people have that make them good leaders, etc. I'm betting that they took all those answers (from my kid as well as the interviews from other kids) and rolled them into a persona that's all things to all people. They're totally selling this character and then they're gonna reveal that she's a fake and then psychoanalyze the damage to these poor 6th graders. This camp is through the Psych department at the local university.

I really hope I'm right. It's an awesome concept. It's really mean to toy with them like that but it drives home a very important point. Our society is driven by fame/success. Our society teaches that you have to be something you are not, that you have to be superhuman to be loved and appreciated. We learn to posture ourselves to fit into the mold society has created. When we do that we sell ourselves short. We ignore the actual things about us that can be the most useful to others. I've seen it done over and over again. I have had that conversation over and over again with my kid. In middle school they start learning to posture when they decide to subscribe to the well established caste system. They pigeon hole themselves into a group (punk, goth, popular, nerd, smart, jock, etc.) Several of my kids friends have already fallen victim. I keep coaching her to be herself, be herself, be herself, ad nauseum. So far, so good. She's drawn though big time. She wants to be famous. That's all she thinks about. I keep telling her the only way to achive what she's chasing is to work hard and be herself no matter what others think. It's a darn near impossible concept for a 10 year old to grasp. I keep telling her that as soon as she trades who she is to fit what someone else wants she gives up control of her own life. At that point the only thing she's ever gonna achieve is what someone else decides for her. It's so sad that so many people choose that route and choose it early.

This camp is supposed to be a life changing week about leadership. If I were 10, falling in love with a fake persona who is then revealed as a fake would totally get my attention. It would definitely make me compare and contrast real leadership vs. popular culture icons. I'll let you know how all this turns out. I for one am positively intrigued!



1 comment:

  1. I hope you're right that this organization really has the right idea and plans to teach the participants what true leadership is really about.

    Unfortunately, I doubt it. I've seen too many "snob popularity 101" programs endorsed through the public school system and funded by local civic groups of adults who haven't outgrown such stupidity.

    I'm so glad you'll be my personal consultant when my kids navigate middle school. You are doing a great job of teaching the right stuff on your own.

    The young girl you describe reminds me of histrionic personality disorder. You can look it up on wiki. (Remember my friend Ryan from back home? Her picture could be next to the definition.) Some teen girls just have a touch of this disorder by virtue of being a teenager. Others are parented by a real live histrionic mom, which is really sad.

    Well, hang in there. If they don't pull the old reverse-psychology trick, I say we host our own little leadership camp next summer!!

    ReplyDelete