Thursday, June 18, 2009

Out of Life Experience

I have a good imagination. I was born with it. It's both a blessing and a curse to me.

The negative side of it has to do with how I'm perceived by others. In my mind I'm many things that I'm lacking in person. In my mind I have a fantastic personality. If everyone else knew me like I know me I would be the life of the party. I spend a lot of time hiding in my head with myself. I heard someone use the expression "running amouck in your head with no adult supervision". That totally applies to me. I consider stuff that I'm certain most people don't and have great fun thinking on these things. The trouble that causes is that I've become so guarded that the fun I'm having in my head doesn't translate to my face. If it did I would be smiling most of the time. I don't. I have this horrible mean look on my face. I hate it. Gratefully there are people who see through it and get to know me enough to discover that I am, in fact, sweet. I love those people. They are blessings to me.

The fun side of my imagination allows my world to be very large and full of interesting things. I love to notice details that generally aren't noticed. The other day I was on a walk with some friends and they were chattering away about some topic or another and I noticed a cat peacefully sleeping on the front steps of it's home. It had the most serene happy cat look on its face. It was awesome. I love walking in neighborhoods. There's so much to see. There are also sounds and smells. On the same walk with my friends I noticed the sound of water falling into the gutter. That's an awesome noise. It's like a baby waterfall right in your own neighborhood. Usually that sound is accompanied by a really fresh after the rain smell.

One of my favorite games lately is called "Out Of life Experience". It involves imagining your life on another street. I love choosing random houses and thinking about what life would be like if that's where I lived. You know how the street you live on becomes so afterthought commonplace? I take in all the things that surround the random house I pick and imagine me in the picture. It's great fun.

1 comment:

  1. Have you ever watched Lizzie McGuire? She's living in the real world, but then she has this cartoon self going on in the corner of your screen that portrays what's really going on in her head. At times in life, I like to pay attention to my little cartoon self and it's quite entertaining. I think your cartoon self is a riot, but you do a really good job of never letting on. I have more difficulty with that. Somteimes I crack myself up and people insist on knowing what's so funny. I need the Stef poker face!

    ReplyDelete