Friday, June 5, 2009

I Should Be Happy



Thursday was the TPR (Termination of Parental Rights) trial for my kids' bio mother. It was grueling and annoying and weird.

I should be happy with the result, but I'm not. I'm left scratching my head over what that four hours was about. I'd never been in court for anything other than a speeding ticket. I was not prepared for the court reporter and the bailiff goofing off while someone else was testifying. I was not prepared for the lawyers of opposing sides yucking it up and telling jokes during a short recess. Those same people a few minutes later were ripping each other new ones. (So to speak) I was not prepared for the opposing lawyer making light of child abuse and suggesting that perhaps a "counselor put those particular memories (and all the very specific details) in the child's head".

I've been in a really weird mood. I've had no energy. Processing everything I saw and heard has affected me physically. I told a friend that I feel like I need a million hugs. In spite of the positive ruling I feel kinda like the rug has been pulled out from under me. The notion of an appeal makes me ill. I'm certain that it'll happen. I hope we're allowed to be there.

1 comment:

  1. As I walk through this as your friend, not only am I astounded by the devastation of abuse and neglect that happens in some homes. But then on top of that, I marvel at the stupidity and crudeness that has come to characterize our social services and family court system. Talk about adding insult to injury!

    Many heimlich hugs...

    ReplyDelete