Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Obligatory House Cleaning & Conspiracies of the Universe

So there's a phenomenon that happens in my head when the case worker is coming for a home visit. It causes every fiber of my being to long for a "perfectly clean" house. NOW... is there really such a thing? I say no. Nonetheless, when she's coming that's what I strive for. Somehow I convince myself to believe that 3 dogs, 2 cats and a rabbit worth of hair as well as the googe of 2 children can be tamed. So I slave (literally) like my life depends on it so that when she comes my house is clean. The truth is that she doesn't really care. I could not clean one thing for a month and my house would still be pristine compared to where the children used to live.

SO...This morning our power went out at about 4:00am. There was a loud pop somewhere close outside and then everything went silent. When my husband woke up the oldest for school and told her there was no power she wasn't concerned by that at all. She just looked at him unphased and asked if he paid the power bill. It's always strange when stuff like that happens. My children lived so poorly before that very little bothers them when it comes to creature comforts.

BUT.... I'm writing this from work (slow day) all the while hoping and praying the power is on when I get home so I can clean. How mean would it be of the universe if this odd power outage causes me to be unable to clean before the case worker gets there? She will then see that we don't REALLY live in a pristine environment like I've lead her to believe all this time. My life will be over. (Hand to forehead very dramatic like)

1 comment:

  1. Aaah, thank you for my first out-loud belly laugh of the day. "Did you pay the electric bill?" Priceless!

    ReplyDelete