Sunday, May 2, 2010

Shark Music

Hubby Guy and I are part of a class taught by Child Shrinks. It's a class "loosely" about attachment disorder.

This past week they did a really cool thing. They showed a video of a gorgeous beach with a path that leads down to the beautiful water. In the background was nice soothing music. We talked about "our feelings" while watching the video. Then they showed the exact same video again. The second time it was accompanied by "Shark music". It was scary, stranger/creature-lurking-waiting-to-snatch-you music. Then we talked about "our feelings" again. ** Feel free to snicker while conjuring a picture of me and Hubby Guy talking about "our feelings"**   Anyway... the point was that our experiences provide the background against which we view our circumstances or even a particular event. What looks peaceful and unproblematic to one person may be positively terrifying to another person because of their life experience.

This week was a real ah-ha week for me in considering why I do some of the things I do and why I freak out sometimes. Unfortunately I have lots of "shark music". I've never heard what I feel sometimes described so clearly. it was really cool.

1 comment:

  1. This was an awesome post. I know sharing about your "feelings" must make you a little self conscious (I didn't snicker, I promise) but I'm glad you did. This really made me think!

    ReplyDelete