Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bittersweet

I've always wanted daughters. I've been told LOTS that boys are easier. I don't care. I wanted girls. Now I have two of them.

Tonight me and the oldest one went on a "date". We got sodas and gigantic chocolate bars and went and sat in the park for about 2 1/2 hours. It was awesome.

I'm a little bit mad that before I know it she probably will be way to cool to want to go on a "date" with me or even be seen in public with me. I wonder how long I can bribe her with chocolate and soda?

It was so sweet to be able to sit and talk about anything and everything. She's young enough that she actually believes what I say. It felt really good to share what I know about life with her. It's somewhat of a burden to know that she didn't have anyone to protect her when she was younger and that so much harm has been done. I feel like I have so little time to try to help heal what I can.

When I was in my 20's the thought that sustained me was that one day all the trauma I endured as a kid would prove useful. What I'm doing now isn't exactly how I had imagined it, but it'll do :)

1 comment:

  1. Way back on that first night in the inn, when I met you all broken and emotionally bruised, God had those two girls in mind. He was weaving the bad stuff of your life into something wonderful.

    It's a blessing to watch it.

    ReplyDelete