Tuesday, March 30, 2010

On The Evolution of My Shopping Life

OK.... I have a problem

When I was a kid we shopped at an awesome place called TG&Y. I remember that I loved it very much. It had everything I needed. Then something strange happened. It started having less or none of what I needed and eventually had nothing I needed and a bunch of cheap junk instead.

After TG&Y we shopped at this great place named Roses. I remember that I loved it very much. It had everything I needed. Then something strange happened. It started having less or none of what I needed and eventually had nothing I needed and a bunch of cheap junk instead.

After Roses came the greatest place ever. It was called Walmart. I loved it very much. My personal shopping mantra even became "If Walmart doesn't have it, I don't need it!" Then something strange happened. They called it "the remodel". I think it was supposed to be a good thing. I noticed though that after "the remodel" it has less or none of what I need and has just a bunch of cheap junk instead. 

The problem I'm having is that Walmart has been my go-to place for so many years I'm having a hard time dragging myself away.

I live in a dink-squat little town. It's the smallest place I've ever lived. There's actually still a Roses! When I first moved here I learned quickly that Roses was a joke. It basically was a place that had odd-off kinds of items (i.e. mu-mu's for old ladies). It was in an older part of town and I think catered more to the elderly and those on very small budgets.


Well.... two days ago I was in Walmart again. I received the confirmation I needed to know that I needn't shop there any longer. I should've taken a picture with my cell phone. They have this item placed right there in the "LOOK WHAT WE HAVE" section. Guess what it was??!!  I had to borrow this picture from the internet.


 Yes, people....Walmart in Harrisonburg carries mu-mus. (and are proud of it!) I never thought I would live to see the fall of Walmart.

Now there's this great place called Target. I've been very hesitant to shop there. It doesn't have a grocery store. It pains me to think I have to go to two different stores to buy clothes and green beans. It's wrong. I'm upset by this. I don't love it.  It does, however, most of the time have all the things I need (except green beans) and NOTHING in there is cheap (monetarily speaking).

I'm kinda sacred. What will come after Target? I don't handle change as easily as I once did. I like going to the same ol' place day in and day out. I like knowing where to find the peanut butter!! Is that too much to ask?

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I have been highly disappointed in Mal-Mart since "the change". They no longer carry really cute George brand clothes or shoes. I mean, I *loved* all those stylish, more upscale items! But now, they have JUNK. And mu-mus.

    Shame on them. Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave as we speak...

    Oh, and about Target? It's my go-to store now. And it has some groceries, even their own brand of yummies. Just not green beans. Unless you like canned.

    My other go-to store (and I do mean WEEKLY) is Sharp Shopper. My daughter thinks I'm obsessed with Sharp Shopper. Just to give her a hard time (and the giggles!), I leaned over in church last Sunday and whispered, "This song reminds me of Sharp Shopper..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stef... It's summer, my brain is back and I'm returning to blogland. Will you be my first (and perhaps only) follower?

    ReplyDelete