Thursday, September 27, 2012

On Clean Living

I have a friend that used to always say, "Now that's what I call clean livin'". He always said it after particularly serendipitous moments in life. He was (and likely still is) fantastic at marking moments that otherwise may not stick out for being great.

Tonight I went to a talent show at the high school with my oldest. It was fun. Some of the acts were really good, some were mediocre and one was downright awkward. I wish I had a video of the awkward performance.  Unfortunately, as much as I try to teach the child manners, etc., some things are just so ferociously weird that home training loses. This particular performance was one of those moments. Within the first few seconds my child was doubled over silently laughing so hard that her whole seat was moving. Fortunately it was dark so no one saw but me. I spent the whole performance,though, trying to squelch her hysterics so she wouldn't embarrass both of us. The truth too is that trying to calm her down helped squelch the giggles that were threatening to spill out of me too.

As we were leaving, we were laughing about it. It occurred to me that I was hanging out with my high school kid and we're close. She wanted me to go to an event with her at her school. She wasn't embarrassed to be seen with me. She sat with me even though a pile of kids greeted her and offered for her to sit with them.

Now that's what I call clean livin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment