Friday, October 1, 2010

Foster Stigma

I just spent the last few days reading a REALLY LONG book. It's the life story of a girl who tragically lost her mother and because of an unfortunate law grew up between foster care and the streets. She actually ended up being a lawyer. It was a pretty amazing story. The book, however, was a hard read. It was hard to read in way too much detail exactly what she went through. I can't imagine it. It was also hard to read all the language. I've put down many other books that had a 1/4 of the language this book had in it. I just really wanted to know how it ended up. Now I know and can get on with life.

I remain frustrated that there seem to be more stories about how terrible foster parents are than there are ones the state otherwise. I'm not gonna drag out my soapbox here, but I really want to.

I talked to my oldest about that particular frustration I had with the book. We've had the conversation before. We went to a concert last year where the speaker was trashing foster care. Her feelings were hurt as were mine.  I keep telling her that she needs to write a book about her life. She says she wants to. Maybe one day we'll write one together.

No comments:

Post a Comment