Thursday, September 30, 2010

As The World Turns

Because I'm "Cool Like That" I keep M&M's in a dispenser thingy on my desk. All of us that work in my area pitch in a try to keep it filled. Well......the dispenser emptied by mid-week last week and I had run out of refills. At the beginning of the week my coworker brought in some fall colored M&M's. They were pretty ugly but they were fallish. They were a mixture of red, dark yellow, light brown and dark brown M&M's.  * aside - we decided the Mars company totally flubbed by not including orange, so I picked some orange out of the other bag of original colored ones that another coworker brought in so I could make the fall mix even more fallish. I was much prettier with orange included.*

When I was a kid I don't remember having a bunch of different kinds of the same thing. M&M's, for instance, came in plain and peanut. Now you practically need a menu and a half hour to figure out what kind you may want. There are peanut, almond, pretzel, coconut, raspberry, peanut butter, mint, etc. They also come in every color you can think of.

M&M's isn't the only thing that's been done that way. When Doritos came out with Cool Ranch flavor I thought that was pretty radical. Now, one of my children's favorite flavors of chips is Cheeseburger flavored Doritos. I SWEAR they taste just like a cheeseburger. It's creepy.

Last night the Oldest came into my room. I was reading a letter that I got from my Grandmother yesterday. Oldest was intrigued by it. She's of the email generation so a letter is an odd thing for her. It's rare to get an actual letter in the mail. That grandmother is 92 and lives in Colorado. It was a precious letter. Anyway... we were teasing Oldest about how she better teach her children one day to keep up with us when we are old and frail. I had written to my grandmother and that's whey I received a return letter.

After the kids left the room, for the first time I was able to kinda look out around the bend and imagine myself a grandmother. I started wondering what kind of chips my grandchildren will eat. They will probably have fancy kinds that change flavors several times while you chew them. I wonder if people will still even write letters. Will email be archaic? Will there be Cheeseburger flavored M&M's?

No comments:

Post a Comment