Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Perspectives

Kutless wrote this song "Perspectives"

It feels like your life's crashing down all around you
Let me ask if it's really so bad
Look at the world in it's suffering
Can you honestly tell me that know one else could understand All the hurting inside
Why can't you see that freedom is sometimes simply another perspective away
Who could you be if your lens was changed for a moment, Would you still be the same
A young child looks through a great stained glass window Watching the people go by Everyone seems to be wearing a red coat His mother sees jackets in white
Now he can't understand why does she see it this way
Why can't you see that freedom is sometimes simply another perspective away
Who could you be if your lens was changed for a moment, Would you still be the same Yesterday, you really couldn't see, By changing your angle a new world would be
Revealed to your once blinded eyes by moving a few degrees
Why can't you see that freedom is sometimes simply another perspective away
Who could you be if your lens was changed for a moment, Would you still be the same

That song came to mind this morning. I was standing in my office (3rd floor in a building on a hill to start with). I was filing and looking out the window because of where I was standing. I was listening to a different band that writes very contemplative lyrics. Something about looking out on the world really helps me put things into perspective.

I was considering the drama going on with my biological family. It's insane. In times like this I am SO NOT RELATED!!!

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday about how sometimes a couple of days worth of calming sure can lend perspective to a situation and can really keep things from escalating and turning into unnecessary conflict.

This time of year especially I feel like we're pulled by tradition and a societally placed system of "what you're supposed to do". I don't know about you, but that system causes me stress. I can't help but think that it is at least responsible for part of the prevalence of seasonal affective disorder seen this time of year. I buck it with everything I have. We don't even have a Christmas tree this year. It wasn't worth it to me.

Here's my Christmas and New Year offering to you:

I wish you perspective. If I could I would grant everyone the gift of discernment as it pertains to all things holiday related. May you not be bound by any manner of societal system but instead be controlled by the realization that God is in control and is the greatest gift giver of all time.


Merry Christmas to ya and Happy New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you for the reminder. I had a moment last night where I COMPLETELY lost my perspective. I told Sam that I feel like a failure for not getting all my Christmas *chores* done by now. Just saying it made me realize that I wasn't doing it because I ENJOYED it, but because I HAD to. I may just buck a few traditions this year myself.

    Now if I could only wisk away to the islands...sigh

    Have fun--we'll miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see your first post about the trip! Please please give us lots of pics to drool over---I mean look at!

    Tell us every little detail so that we can live vicariously thru you...well, not *every* little detail. But all the ones we can share!

    Welcome home!!

    ReplyDelete