Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Tis The Season

*Deep Breath*

I'm feeling pretty positive.

Gymnastics season is underway. Tryout week is over. I have chosen a team. I'm really excited about the possibility of having a decent season. Usually at this point in the season there are 1 or 2 that stand out and everyone else feels like filler. This season it really feels like there is decent potential. We may still likely not be able to compete well in other districts where kids train year-round in private gyms, but it's clear that our program is getting better. That, in itself, makes the season successful before anyone ever even salutes a judge.

I realize the pace of my posting has slowed. This is the most difficult season for me schedule-wise and brain-traffic wise. The ticker tape in my brain has changed mostly from what's going on in my spiritual life to what needs to get done for practice, who needs to focus on what skills, and can we really be ready for a meet by Dec. 12. That is a constant. I even dream about gymnastics between now and mid-February. It just so happens that this season also includes my youngest's birthday, my birthday, Hubby Guy's birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and my wedding anniversary. It's busy.

The beautiful thing about this year is that my new-found freedom has definitely changed how well I'm able to deal with the pace of the season. It's odd to me that letting go of the NEED for control has amped up my ability to actually be in control. I don't feel like I'm chasing my tail. I feel less dread about what has to get done. There is still some stress there, but not stress that in the past has made me respond in unhealthy ways. One really healthy change that is going really well is that so far I'm not being a hermit. It's only been 1 week but I feel markedly better at this point than I ever have. I have several precious ones that I see at least once per week. I have a standing date for a weekly walk with one of my besties. I also have three new friends with which  I'm being intentional about building relationships. Life is GOOD on that front... perhaps better than it's ever been.

Today in the car my oldest out-of-the-blue said, "Why are you so popular all of the sudden?". It made me laugh. She's noticed that my boundaries have expanded. She's noticed that I don't keep to myself as much. It was interesting to hear her take on what exactly "being popular" means. It was really eye-opening. Her version of popular and my version of popular from when I was her age are different. I hadn't imagined that had changed that much. Who knew?

So there.


No comments:

Post a Comment