Thursday, February 14, 2013

On Glimpses of My Other Self

Today my "boss" rode in my car. I say "boss" because she is, but she doesn't illicit the stereotypical "the-boss-is-coming" feelings for me. I happen to like her a lot. She's super easy to work for and with.

She and I have had conversations before about how we agree that we have distinct personas that show up to specific venues (away-from-work Stef vs at-work Stef) Our paths don't cross outside of the office so we're pretty much left to wonder about the other sides of each other we claim exist.

The odd part of her riding in my car is the notion that my car is the place on the planet (except my kitchen when no one is home) where I feel most free to be me. See here for more on that. Anyway, other than my family members, others rarely ride in my vehicle. So for me, the experience feels a lot like inviting another person to read my diary or something like that. I feel like maybe they can sense leftover crazy in the space; Or perhaps I'm afraid I might burst into song.

When I worked in the rehab department at the hospital in Florida, I learned that physical therapists are a lot like other physical therapists, occupational therapists are a lot like other occupational therapists, speech pathologists are a lot like other speech pathologists, etc. I also learned that each specialty seems to have a particular skill set where they excel. Now I work with athletic trainers. I've learned that athletic trainers are a lot like other athletic trainers. They also have a skill set where they excel. It seems to me that athletic trainers are quite skilled at gathering information and noticing details. In the case of my "boss", I can say something in passing that is truly unimportant and it may well come up in conversation months later. I don't know why after 5 years that still surprises me.

So boss-lady climbed into my ride today and I was so entertained by her commentary revolving around things she noticed. She has even nick-named my vehicle. That's so funny to me. Apparently she got a glimpse of away-from-work Stef. I think she liked her.

No comments:

Post a Comment