Wednesday, February 20, 2013

On Creepin' our Inspiration

I had a conversation recently with a bunch of high school girls. We were chatting about "girl crushes". We all agreed that the concept doesn't lie only with a small group of "weirdos". It was apparent by our impromptu straw poll that having a "girl crush"  is a widely-held practice among women.

I wrote here about the concept of "secret friends". Well, a "girl crush" is a different thing entirely. I define it as follows: Regarding another girl/woman with awe because she possesses qualities you admire/wish you had. Said girl/woman generally is someone you have little to zero contact with and who you may or may not have enough in common to be friends with were you to actually meet.

As I don't wish to embarrass myself, my girl crushes will absolutely not be shared here. I do have them, however.

I have an acquaintance who has a blog/vlog. I haven't seen her in about 10 years. The last few days I've been catching up. This is what got me to thinking about girl crushes. The concept of girl crushes does involve observing a person that doesn't directly know they are being observed. E.g. Watching the tv show she stars in, reading all of her books, etc. Choosing to be in the public eye supposes the notion of others seeing whatever it is you put out there. Now... my acquaintance graciously invites her audience to enjoy her   blog/vlog, but.... watching 20 or so episodes of her vlog back to back at a time does seem like I'm just plain creepin' - invited or not. AND... she's more of a secret friend for me anyway. The two of us are definitely kindred spirits.

Because I'm the analytical sort, I was considering (as I was creepin' through vlog episodes) the sources from which I draw inspiration. Two of my answers were, of course, secret friends and girl crushes. When we are little we look to parents, siblings, and friends for cues on how to be and ideas for stuff to get into. As we age and our world gets bigger, countless sources for inspiration materialize. I believe our personal convictions as well as our personal tastes draw us to particular people. It's logical to me that women would be drawn to other women (regardless of what you name the practice) because we can closer identify with them than we can dudes. So there.... notion de-mystified!

In case you want to check out the blog/vlog of my not-so-secret-friend. You can find her here

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! Yay! Thanks for the shout-out :-) PS - thanks for making me feel interesting. I love doing those vlogs and it's always awesome to hear someone likes watching them!

    ReplyDelete