Thursday, October 11, 2012

On The Stuff Roads Wrap Around

I live in a really great spot. It's both city and country at the same time. It's just a few minutes from big civilization and a few minutes from really rural. I have the best of both worlds very nearby.

There's a country road a couple blocks from my house where I like to go for walks. A few months ago I was out there walking. While I was walking I started really studying the area. I noticed all kinds of neat things. As usual, my imagination spurred my thought process.

Here's what I thought about for the rest of the walk: How I see where I live is generally defined by the roads, not by what the roads wrap around.

I began to consider the people and the lives that are lived out in the middle of what the roads wrap around. I've always lived with a road out in front of my house. There are lots of people who don't. I'm guessing that others are like myself when I say that my world begins at the front door of my little spot on the globe. Given that all houses don't have a road in front of them, I would imagine the worlds of others begin and end very different from mine.

It occurred to me too that I don't go "off road" very much, literally or figuratively. Literally, I go few places where there isn't solid concrete poured from A to B. Figuratively I don't either. My life is very generally A to B driven. Rarely do I have an "off road", "out of the box", or "outside my comfort zone" experience. I certainly don't seek those out.

Recently I blogged about living a life counting on supernatural provision. My brain wheels have yet to stop spinning on that concept. I think one of the primary stealers of a life lived full of faith is that we are conditioned to not stray from the path. It's much easier to stick to the roads that we know. I do it. Every now and then, though, my eyes wander from the road. There's a big piece of me that is drawn to those places. I can't help but wonder if the greatest things the Lord has in store for us are out in the places the road wraps around.

No comments:

Post a Comment