Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Messed Up Realms

I confess.... I compartmentalize my life.

Work exists in it's own realm.

Home, family, church, etc. exist in their own realms.

Work and my other realms generally have nothing to do with one another.....with one exception.

My boss at work is someone I go to church with too. I consider her a friend outside of work. At work she's the boss that I really respect and like working with.

This week my boss got a promotion. She deserves it. She's gonna be AWESOME at the new job. I'm happy for my FRIEND. I'm struggling, though, because I'm selfishly unhappy about losing my BOSS. For whatever reason I feel somewhat betrayed. I don't think that's very fair that I feel that. I do, though. I would imagine that the majority of that feeling is just because of trying to process the change. I feel like I'm grieving. I haven't cried but I've felt like it. I've definitely been angry. I don't know what's after anger. I'm not really mad anymore.

The truth is that I'm not unhappy with my replacement boss. She's cool too. We get along great. We understand one another and communicate easy. In some ways she'll be easier to work with. I'm just a big spoiled baby that likes things the way they were.

I think the heart of my unrest lies in the notion that I will lose my friend. Her new post puts her in that elite category that can't really socialize with such commoners as myself. I get it. I just hate social stratification based on job status. She would never intentionally make anyone feel "beneath her". Unfortunately, that's an unpleasant side effect of "professional distance".

I find myself in an awkward place.

No comments:

Post a Comment