Tuesday, April 5, 2011

From The EL

I've done a bunch of Bible studies by Beth Moore. In one of them she takes time out to talk about and define the word resonate. She even set down at the piano and gave a really spectacular example.

I metioned before that I've been reading while elliptifying. I'm in love with the author Charles Martin. I'm on my 3rd book of his.  I tend to prefer female writers. The guy prespective and thought process is usually too cut and dried. I like some meat to the stories I read. This guy writes with more emotion that most of the women authors I've read. In the last few days I've read several things that have truly resonated with me for several different reasons. I've decided I should share.

The first excerpt is from a book titled The Dead Don't Dance. It struck me because it completely describes how I am.  Here it is:

"I like to get comfortable with an idea before I take it on. Give me time to ruminate, and I can face most anything, but don't allow me an experience, and then with the sweat still rolling off my face, ask me to interpret it for you. I don't know what to think until I've had time to look in my rearview mirror."

I can think of several instances throughout life where that little nugget of my personality has proven problematic. Somehow I tend to hang with people who are quick processors. I'm just not. When I make a decision or have an opionion it's because I've done my research and had time to think on it. When I'm forced to speak before I'm ready, bad things happen. Oh the words I've eaten and wish I could eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment