Friday, April 8, 2011

From The EL Part III

For a long time in life I felt very much like an island. I only had very flimsy ties to family. I had no really close friends that were close enough to provide comfort and companionship. I struggled constantly with feeling unloved.

The third excerpt I have reminded me very much of how I feel about God.

This excerpt is also from Charles Martin's book The Mountain Between Us.

     "That's when I knew. When I knew for the first time what love was. Not what it felt like. Not how it made me feel. Not what I hoped it was. But what it was. And what it was when I didn't get in the way.
     You showed me. It'd been there all along, ....... I'd lived my whole life wanting to love but never able to do so apart from the pain I'd carried. The pain of my dad. Of my mom's absence. Of running but never being fast enough. Of never measuring up.
     But there...that night...that moment, it was the first time I'd ever been cut free. When I took a breath deep enough to fill me. All of my life , I'd struggled in the waves, tossed, turned, thrown about like a rag doll, forever trying to surface, screaming for air, but somewhere some unseen hand held me beneath the foam and froth. But in that moment, you held back the waves, lifted me above the surface, and filled me."

We serve an awesome God!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment