Monday, July 27, 2009

On Reading and Writing

I've always struggled with the notion that in order to write well you have to think differently. To fill out a story some detail is required. I'm often frustrated with the simplicity of thought I possess. My life has swung so solidly toward the side of short, simple and straight forward. I love reading because I'm struck with the beautiful ways others string words together. I've read so much lately that my brain has started leaking. By that I mean that sometimes in thinking I'm able to come up with sentences that really say nicely what I'm shooting for. I hope that's a good sign. I have come to terms with the notion that I will likely never write anything publishable. It's fun, though to entertain the thought that I might be able to play around with writing. It's encouraging. I think now if I could figure out character development I'd do well.

It occurred to me today that I should have been keeping a log of all the books I've read. When I was a kid my mother had such a thing and I thought it was really cool. I'm certain I've read hundreds of books in my lifetime. I'm certain though that in the last year I've read A LOT of books. I'd love to know the number. I got three more today and I'm almost halfway through the first one. I'm still stuck on memoirs. I'm reading and I just can't seem to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment