Saturday, July 25, 2009

But Being A Bad Parent Is Much More Fun & Convenient

I'm having a bad day. My girls woke up with a silver spoon in their mouths and decided to start the day acting like spoiled little selfish subhuman beasts.

Last night the oldest without regard for others maybe wanting cereal this morning decided to drink the last of the milk WITH HER ICE CREAM!!!! So she gets up this morning looking for breakfast and said with an attitude "Since we can't have cereal....". And the fun began. She wanted to cook eggs (and destroy my kitchen doing so like she always does). Scott said no because there was a little bit of leftover breakfast casserole that needed to be eaten. She with an attitude exclaimed that she didn't like the stuff. Interestingly enough when I made it she raved about how much she loved it and even had seconds. A few minutes before that the youngest decided she wanted waffles. Neither one of us wanted to make waffles. There was the matter of the breakfast casserole and there were a couple of other options. She continued to gripe about wanting waffles and that she didn't like anything else. SO.... we did not allow the ungrateful subhuman beasts to eat breakfast. I was livid at the notion that they would be so ungrateful given the notion that they didn't even regularly have food in their former life. So.. lunchtime came around and I decided to make my point. I made them PB&J sandwiches. We've been having a bit of a standoff over this particular food item because they've decided that having that once a week for lunch is "too much" and they're "tired of it". I didn't allow them any side item. I made them drink water. I explained to them why the whole bratty ungrateful thing ticks me off. I also told them that if they didn't eat the sandwich they would not be allowed to go to the sleepover they were invited to tonight. It took the older one a while but she managed to get most of it down (except the couple pieces of crust I caught her slipping to the dog) (she's lucky to have lived after that). The younger one ended up sitting there a while. She destroyed the sandwich and kept moving around on her plate. Eventually she declared herself through. I asked her on her way to her room if she ate it all. She said yes. I was suspicious. I asked her if she threw it away. She said no. I assured her that I was headed for the trash can and if I found it in there she would be in huge trouble. I knew by the look on her face that she had thrown it away. Sure enough. She had hidden it in the bottom of the can. (yes I dug) So I went to the bedroom of the guilty child and said to her "I hope it was worth it.. you aren't going to the party and you're grounded to your room from the time the party starts until tomorrow morning." She cried for a good long while. I could hear the older one in there trying to console her. At one point the oldest came out and asked if the youngest REALLY wasn't allowed to go to the party. I assured her that I meant it. The little one cried some more.

So when the little one finally emerged she asked when dinner was. I laughed and told her it would be later and she would be having a PB&J sandwich. I told her she would eat every drop of it. She asked me if she could skip dinner. I said no. She asked why she doesn't get to choose. I told her because in not eating the sandwich, wasting it and then lying to me about what she had done she already made her choice. She was then brazen enough to ask what would happen if she chose not to eat it. I assured her she would eat nothing but PB&J for a solid week. She then said "You mean until you run out of bread?" to which I replied "No, I'll buy enough bread for you to having nothing but that for a week." She walked away. She has come back since then and asked if she eats the dinner sandwich if she can go to the party. I explained to her again that the party ship sailed with her not eating the first sandwich. I sense that the conversation isn't over on her end.

What's really bobo about the situation is that I was gonna have a kid free evening!!!!!!! She ruined that for me. WHY? Why can't I just settle for being a mediocre parent. Is consistency worth it? It damn well better be! That's all I have to say about that.

Raising someone else's damaged children isn't fun. It's a labor of love and I really hope it turns out to be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I have one tween daughter. We've had some similar temper tantrums as well. My daughter just finished a peanut butter and banana sandwich for lunch. Most of our arguments are over TV. That's our grounding weapon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA!! Well, there goes my theory that my kids might be more grateful for what they have if they had a taste of a lesser lifestyle! Thanks for saving me the trouble of some life-lesson cross-cultural experience. What is up with that ingratitude thing, I would like to know??

    ReplyDelete