Monday, April 29, 2013

On Learning Something New Each Day

My youngest child doesn't care to practice anything. She just wants to be a superstar. She wants to to be the best soccer player and get lots of goals but doesn't like to practice. She wants a ribbon for every race during swim season without putting in the practice. She thinks to be the best on the basketball team all you have to do is shoot goals uncontested at the neighbor's house up the street. She doesn't want to hear anything about strategy or hard work. She just wants to show up and be the best. She has big dreams and all the energy in the world but zero willingness to be a student of the sport.

I was thinking about that tonight as I was watching her at soccer practice. I spend A LOT of mental energy on clever ways to teach my children about life without preaching at them. Anyway... I was considering the learning continuum for humans in general. It seems to me that by the time we acquire understanding of the requirement of hard work, our dreams have faded and all that energy is a thing of the past.

I've heard that you should learn something new every day. I figure that's a fantastic way to break up all the hard work of being a student of the game called life. If you learn a little bit each day I guess one day you know all kinds of stuff and it doesn't require all the energy that was spent during youth. SO... I considered what I learned today. I learned during lunch that Cookie Ulanski (a lady I work with) is a really funny lady. I'm not sure how knowing that will help me with life. I tossed it in my mental pile called  "Stuff I Know". It's something, though, right? Just last night I discovered that I know that the hockey team in Detroit is called the RedWings. That little nugget slid right out of the "Stuff I Know" pile into my mouth right when I needed it and my Hubby Guy was amazed.


In other news.... There were two dogs tied to the soccer goal at the end of the field tonight. They looked like Chihuahuas but they also looked like Daschunds. I've officially decided they were Weeniehuahuas. I think that I should be in charge of naming stuff. It's lots of fun.




No comments:

Post a Comment